Manages security operations to preserve the safety of persons and assets and to provide outstanding guest service at Columbus Zoo and Aquarium properties.
- Plans, assigns and reviews the work of, acts on problems, conducts performance reviews, and recommends discipline for supervised
- Oversees the management of all supervisors, full and part time rangers as well as seasonal staff that includes: asset protection, parking security, Zoombezi Bay security, EMS and
- Assists Director of Safety & Security with overall risk management/assessment.
- Oversees the administration, development and execution of departmental Standard Operating
- Oversees security assets for special events and
- Reviews ranger daily logs and documents, ensures accuracy and follows up as
- Coordinates, prepares for and provides security for special events at all properties
- Ensures all incident and accident reports are properly entered and distributed by the end of the
- Summons and directs emergency vehicles and performs crowd control when
- Successfully pass Special Response Team (SRT) qualification semi-annually.
- Responds to special SRT needs (ex: ability to use all weapon systems in the inventory, support animal procedures and movements, ).
- Operates a closed circuit television system to detect unusual
- Active participant in the Emergency Response Plan (ERP) and able to pass a semi-annual test on the
- Patrols Zoo, Zoombezi Bay and Safari Golf Club grounds and offers assistance when needed (e.g., enforcing guest/safety regulations, reporting and responding to unusual incidents, and assisting guests with first aid, lost children and theft issues, or other assistance).
- Monitors parking operations and assists as
- Escorts special guests, vendor vehicles, etc. as
- Locks and un-locks doors and gates for employees as
- Maintains acceptable proficiency in the use of Zoo
- Maintains the confidentiality of sensitive information at all
- Constantly strives to further the mission of the organization and avidly supports the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Zoombezi Bay, Safari Golf Club and The
- Implements sustainable practices in daily tasks whenever
- Performs other duties as
Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Four-year degree in related field or 4 years of law enforcement, military or relevant experience required.
- 5-10 years of security experience
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience
- First aid, CPR, ERT, and AED certification required within 6 months of placement in
- Microsoft Office software basic computer skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays required.
- Ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to plan and organize work in an efficient and cost-effective manner and without direct supervision
- Ability to provide excellent guest service by positively interacting with guests and upholding the Make it G.R.E.A.T. standards
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with all Zoo team members and contacts regarding company business
- Ability to adhere to standard operating procedures including but not limited to safety protocols
- Ability to create/maintain staffing levels to ensure appropriate coverage while meeting financial
- Ability to create, lead and direct the strategic operations of the Security
- Ability to develop the skills of direct and indirect reports.
- Ability to solve complex problems independently and proactively adjust operations as
- Ability to critically and efficiently assess the situation independently and use sound judgment in decision making at all
- Ability to successfully pass special response team qualification at an advanced level, semi annually
- Possession of a valid Ohio motor vehicle operator’s license and a good driving record required.
- Proof of negative TB screening prior to placement and annually thereafter
- Ability to adhere to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s drug-free workplace policy including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion and follow up treatment
- Ability to successfully complete a criminal history background check annually
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please visit www.columbuszoo.org to apply online or mail resume to:
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
Human Resources Department
9990 Riverside Drive
PO Box 400
Powell OH 43065